Help in a crisis during Coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic
During this COVID-19 pandemic there may have to be changes in the way some of our services work. Please contact the service directly to check how services are being delivered and follow their advice.
If you need help in a mental health crisis during Coronavirus pandemic outside office hours please contact our crisis team: Help in a crisis
For other medical advice and support contact your your GP or visit NHS 111.
Only visit your local Emergency Department for serious life-threatening conditions that need immediate medical attention including persistent severe chest pain, loss of consciousness, acute confused state, severe blood loss, serious burns, suspected stroke.
Sustainability at Nottinghamshire Healthcare
Health and environmental issues, especially air quality and climate change are directly linked. A worsening climate has negative consequences for public health, but globally, the health sector is a significant contributor to climate change. Nottinghamshire Healthcare recognises the importance of designing and delivering sustainable healthcare services and reducing wherever possible its environmental impact.
What are we doing?
We have a board approved Sustainable Development Management Plan (SDMP) also known as a Green Plan, which outlines projects and activities to improve sustainability performance throughout the Trust. The plan covers areas such as staff awareness and engagement, carbon emissions and resource use. Progress on the actions contained within the plan are regularly reported to the Trust Board. It was acknowledged by the Board that the SDMP should be a fluid document and one which is subject to regular review, to ensure it takes account of the progress made, but also reflects developments within the health and care sector and wider legislative requirements. The SDMP actions are therefore reviewed every 6 months. We also have several strategies, developed as part of the SDMP, which focus on specific aspects of sustainability. These are:
- Waste Strategy 2019-2024.pdf [pdf] 556KB
- Water Strategy 2019-2024.pdf [pdf] 430KB
- Energy Strategy 2019-2024.pdf [pdf] 648KB
- Biodiversity and Greenspace Strategy 2019-2024.pdf [pdf] 316KB
- SDMP Planned actions from January to June 2020.pdf [pdf] 162KB
In the last year some of our biggest achievements include:
- Declaring a Climate Emergency, committing the Trust to carbon neutrality by 2040;
- Signing up 70 teams in the first year of Green Impact, a staff behaviour change scheme;
- Changing energy contracts to enable the procurement of renewable sourced electricity;
- Reaching over 500 Green Champions;
- Encouraging sustainable staff travel through the cycle to work scheme and public transport discounts;
- Installing electric vehicle charging infrastructure at 8 Trust sites and investing in electric vehicles for our Transport and Logistics and IT teams;
- Securing over 200 trees from the Woodland Trust for planting in 2020;
- Signed up to the NHS Plastics Pledge to reduce single use plastic;
- Introducing an Environmental Impact Award category to the Trust OSCARS (Outstanding Service Contribution and Recognition Scheme); and
- Becoming the first NHS Trust to become a Corporate Member of IEMA (Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment).
If you have any questions about sustainability at Nottinghamshire Healthcare, please contact the team: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or follow us on Twitter: @Enviro_NottsHC