Frequently asked questions

If I complain about a healthcare professional or a ward I am currently being treated at, will my complaint impact on my care in a negative way?

The Trust welcomes complaints from patients, family and friends as an opportunity to resolve concerns and improve service delivery. Your complaint will be dealt with fully and impartially and we are confident that there will be no repercussions on your care. The Trust's Complaints policy and procedure supports this.

Can I add further information to my complaint once the investigation has begun?

Certainly and we will pass on any further information received to the investigator.

Will I be contacted by the investigator once the investigation into my complaint has begun?

It is normal practice for investigators to contact the complainant directly in order to have a clear picture of your complaint and your desired outcome. This can be over the telephone or face-to-face. If you do not wish to be contacted as part of this process please communicate this to the Service Liaison Department.

Can I withdraw my complaint once the investigation has begun?

Yes. You are able to do this at any point. Please communicate this to our team as soon as possible preferably in writing.

I am making a complaint on behalf of someone else. Will consent be required?

If the person you are complaining on behalf of is over the age of 18, and the complaint refers to aspects of their care, we will require written consent from them as we will need access to personal information. It would helpful if you are making a complaint on behalf of someone else if you supply written consent at the time you lodge the complaint.

How I can get free advice and support?

You can contact the complaints advocacy service POhWER. Visit the POhWER website or use use the contact details below:

Telephone: 0300 020 0093

Address: PO Box 14043, Birmingham, B6 9BL


Can I complain anonymously?

Yes. We would look at the concerns raised and consider the most appropriate way to take the complaint forward.

I disagree with the outcome of the investigation. Can I appeal the decision?

Yes. In the first instance please contact the complaints department that dealt with your complaint. If after further attempts to resolve your complaint you remain dissatisfied you may at that stage refer your complaint to The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman. The Ombudsman is independent of government and the NHS, and the service is confidential and free. The address is:

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman.

Millbank Tower


0345 015 4033