Help in a crisis during Coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic
During this COVID-19 pandemic there may have to be changes in the way some of our services work. Please contact the service directly to check how services are being delivered and follow their advice.
If you need help in a mental health crisis during Coronavirus pandemic outside office hours please contact our crisis team: Help in a crisis
For other medical advice and support contact your your GP or visit NHS 111.
Only visit your local Emergency Department for serious life-threatening conditions that need immediate medical attention including persistent severe chest pain, loss of consciousness, acute confused state, severe blood loss, serious burns, suspected stroke.
Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities Service
During this COVID-19 pandemic there may have to be changes in the way some of our services operate, in order to maintain safe and effective services. This document aims to tell you what our support to you from the IDD service will look like during the pandemic. We are here to support you and listen to your feedback.
Easy read documents about COVID-19, how it has changed our service and how to keep healthy can be found here.
Current open referrals
If a member of the IDDS team is already working with you, or someone you care for, they should have contacted you to check how you are, to agree a plan with you for now, and the near future, and to tell you how to contact them if your situation changes. You should contact them directly if you need to review your plan of care.
If you have not heard from our service, cannot get in touch with someone or need to discuss a new referral please contact us on 0300 303 1930.
New referrals/requests for support
A new central point of contact (a single point of access) has been set up to support you.
Contact details and operating hours are:-
Tel: 0300 303 1930
8am - 7pm Monday to Friday
9am - 4pm Saturday and Sunday
Downloadable referral form: Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities Service SPA Referral Form.doc [doc] 78KB
Or post to Fern House, Highbury Hospital, Highbury Road, Bulwell, NG6 9DR
Staff from the IDDS team will answer the phone and talk to you about your needs. In the phone call we will work out with you what type of support you need
We may: -
- Send out resources to support you or talk through some strategies. We will also talk to you about any longer term support if this is required.
- Support you, alongside specific health colleagues, via the telephone and/or video conferencing to develop a plan of care.
- Refer you onto our Intensive Community Assessment and Treatment Team (ICATT) if you need more immediate and intensive support. This might mean someone will visit you. If someone visits you they will be wearing equipment to keep you, those who you live/work with and themselves safe. We will send you information about what we will be wearing so you are not surprised when we visit.
- Signpost your to other services - Make sure that you have the right contact details for wider social care; humanitarian aid or voluntary support that you might require.
The central point of contact and community assessment and treatment teams are made up of different health professionals. If you need support from one specific professional you will be contacted by them directly. The professions included in the service are:-
- Community Nursing
- Occupational Therapists
- Speech and Language Therapists
The below document written by the Challenging Behaviour Foundation and the Learning Disability Senate highlights the roles of the different professional groups and how we can support you at this time.
- Role of Professions supporting people with learning disabilities during the Coronavirus pandemic.pdf [pdf] 522KB
NCAS - Nottingham City Autism Service
If you are seen by NCAS - Nottingham City Autism Service, or referred to this service, this team can continue to be contacted using the details below:
|Changes to how we are working due to COVID-19.pdf||209KB PDF||21 Apr 2020|
|Corona Virus social story.pdf||645KB PDF||21 Apr 2020|
|Handwashing.pdf||294KB PDF||21 Apr 2020|
|How to access Intellectual Disability Service.pdf||438KB PDF||22 Apr 2020|
|Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities Service SPA Referral Form.doc||80KB DOC||18 May 2020|
|Self-isolation.pdf||571KB PDF||21 Apr 2020|
|Social distancing advice for carers.pdf||212KB PDF||30 Apr 2020|
|Social Distancing.pdf||251KB PDF||21 Apr 2020|
|Staying mentally well during self-isolation.pdf||748KB PDF||21 Apr 2020|
|Wearing personal protective clothing - double sided.pdf||343KB PDF||21 Apr 2020|