Young people

A person's hands doing homework CAMHS stands for Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services. It’s the part of the NHS which helps children and young people who have problems with their thoughts or feelings. We can help people until they are 18.

How can I get help?

If you are aged between 12 and 18 years old and have a Nottinghamshire GP, you can self-refer to CAMHS. This means that you can directly approach our team to ask for help. 

The telephone number is 0115 8542 299 and it is open from 8am to 5pm, Monday to Friday. You will speak to a specially trained professional who will ask you some questions and talk to you about how they can help.  If you prefer, you can ask for help by completing an online self-referral form.

If you prefer you can speak to your GP, school health nurse or an adult in school who can get in touch with us by calling or writing to us. Any other professional who works with you like a social worker, counsellor or youth worker can also contact us to find out how we can help you.


Who works at CAMHS?

Most children who get help from CAMHS see one of our community teams. This normally means you will come to see us for weekly appointments at one of our bases, at a health centre or at your school.

We have lots of people working for us who can help you in different ways. These include:

  • family therapists – who talk through problems with you and your family
  • CAMHS social workers – who support children and families through difficult times
  • family support workers – who can give advice to your parents or carers
  • mental health practitioners – who support young people and their families to bring about positive change
  • psychologists – experts in how people think and act
  • psychiatrists – doctors who work on thoughts and feelings
  • art psychotherapists – who can help you by using art and music


What happens next?

We will talk to you about what your problems are and together we will make some goals. This might be things you want to do or targets you want to reach. We will give you some treatment to help you. This might be talking through your problems, or taking medicine if you need it.


What else does CAMHS do?

As well as our community teams, we have some teams which work on other difficulties. These include:

  • problems with eating
  • problems with drugs or alcohol
  • psychosis – when someone hears or sees things which aren’t there
  • intellectual disability – when someone finds it difficult to communicate or understand things