Parents and carers

What is CAMHS?

CAMHS stands for Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services. These are NHS services, which in Nottingham and Nottinghamshire are run by Nottinghamshire Healthcare.

We offer support and treatment for children aged 0 – 18 years who have emotional and/or mental health problems.

How to get help?

If you are the parent or carer for a young person aged 0 to 18 years old with a Nottinghamshire GP, you can refer on their behalf to CAMHS. This means that you can directly approach our team to ask for help.

You will speak to a specially trained professional who will ask you some questions and talk to you about how they can help. If you prefer, you can ask for help by completing an online referral form.   

If you prefer you can speak to your GP or school health nurse who can get in touch with us by calling or writing to us. Any other professional who works with your child / young person like a social worker, counsellor or youth worker can also contact us to find out how we can help you.

For a full range of Mental health Support services in Nottingham please download the following documents that the youth led MH2K team have put together:


View our support page for parents and carers.

Who works at CAMHS?

Most children who get help from CAMHS will see one of our community outpatient teams. The Nottinghamshire community outpatient teams are made up of lots of different professionals, including family therapists, CAMHS social workers, family support workers, mental health practitioners, associate mental health practitioners, psychologists, psychiatrists or art psychotherapists.

What happens next?

Professionals in CAMHS work together with children and young people to try to overcome their difficulties through evidence-based treatments (treatment that has been researched and found to be helpful). Together, we will create some goals and keep track of how your child is doing to make sure the support is helping. There are regular reviews to think about treatment options.

Children and young people may require different types of treatment depending on their age and developmental stage.

What else does CAMHS do?

Some smaller teams offer specific treatments for difficulties such as eating disorders, substance misuse, psychosis or an intellectual disability. These are known as specialist teams.



Rate this page or report a problem

Rate this page or report a problem

branding footer logo