DESMOND (Diabetes Education and Self Management for Ongoing and Newly Diagnosed) programme
The Trust offers the DESMOND (Diabetes Education and Self Management for Ongoing and Newly Diagnosed) programme for people with Type 2 diabetes. DESMOND is a structured group education programme designed to increase an individual's knowledge of Type 2 diabetes but also encourage them to develop the skills to help effectively self-manage their condition.
The course can be accessed by people that have newly diagnosed Type 2 diabetes (within first 12 months of diagnosis) but also those that have established Type 2 diabetes.
The course overview
- 6 hours of structured education
- Two formats: 1 - day or 2 - half day equivalents.
- Full day sessions: 09:00 – 16:00 or 09:30 – 16:30
- Morning ½ day sessions: 09:30 – 13:00
- Afternoon sessions: 13:00 – 16:30
- Delivered by health care professionals and Lay Educators – all staff are DESMOND trained
- Groups of up to 10 participants with newly-diagnosed or established Type 2 diabetes who may wish to bring along a partner, family member or friend
- Community/primary care venues e.g. libraries, health centres, miners welfares etc
- Supporting resources and handbook for attendees
- Thoughts and feelings of the participants around diabetes
- Understanding diabetes and glucose: what happens in the body
- Understanding more about monitoring and medication
- Understanding the risk factors and complications associated with diabetes
- How to take control – Food Choices & Physical Activity
- Planning for the future
How can you access the DESMOND course?
DESMOND is free to access and is currently being delivered across Nottinghamshire County. You can simply ask your practice nurse/general practitoner to complete a referral. Self-referral is also available in Rushcliffe, Nottingham West, and Nottingham North and East areas.
For further information on the programme or to email, fax or post a referral form please contact:
Tel: 01623 785182
Fax: 01623 785119
DESMOND, Nutrition & Dietetics, Mansfield Community Hospital, Stockwell Gate, Mansfield, NG18 5QJ
Service opening hours
Monday – Saturday 8:30am – 4:30pm (please note no administrative support on a Saturday)
Service commissioned by the following Clinical Commissioning Groups
Newark and Sherwood
Mansfield and Ashfield
Nottingham North and East