Shortlisted in HSJ Awards Towards Net Zero Award
We are delighted to be a finalist in the HSJ Awards in the Towards Net Zero Award category.
We have been shortlisted for the huge strides we have made in reducing our carbon footprint and our commitment to sustainability. Despite the challenges the pandemic presented, we’ve pushed forward with the sustainability agenda and the Trust’s new Green Plan. Our overarching aims are to align to the NHS-wide ambition to be part of the world’s first Net Zero health service; prioritise interventions to tackle climate change and other sustainability issues whilst improving patient care and community wellbeing; and make capital investments whilst increasing operational efficiencies.
Dr John Brewin, Chief Executive said:
“I am absolutely delighted to see the fantastic work of our Energy and Environment team recognised at a national level. We are committed to making a difference and prioritising the sustainability agenda and have already made huge improvements and will continue to build on this. As well as embedding progress towards Net Zero in the management structures of the Trust, the responsibility for working towards Net Zero is embedded for all staff so we are all committed on working on this together. Well done to all involved and good luck for the next stage”
The Trust has had numerous successes delivering environmental improvements and working towards Net Zero including:
- Procuring 100% renewable, Renewable Energy Guarantees of Origin (REGO) backed energy since April 2019, ahead of the NHS England and NHS Improvment deadline
- Expanding our electric vehicle charging network to 31 chargers, including four vehicle-to-grid chargers and our increasing our electric vehicle fleet to 12 vehicles.
- Planting over 4000 native trees across five sites
- Launching a public facing green social prescribing platform – our Green Hub
- Commencing development of a plant-based menu
- Lead on Estates and Procurement sustainability work on behalf of the Integrated Care System (ICS)
Lynn Walker, Head of Sustainability said:
“We are absolutely delighted to have been shortlisted for the HSJ Towards Net Zero Award. The Trust is working hard to deliver the commitments made in our Green Plan to deliver Net Zero and sustainable healthcare, and being recognised for our efforts at this stage in our journey is incredibly rewarding. Regardless of the outcome, fantastic work is consistently being delivered across the health and care sector and that in itself is something which should be celebrated. We’d like to take this opportunity to say congratulations and good luck to all of the other nominees who have be shortlisted in this category.”
The Awards Ceremony will take place on Thursday 17 November 2022 at Evolution, London.