Want to be a Dear Friend?
For many people isolation is a difficult process, even if we are in the home we love. Imagine being in hospital during this time and not being able to receive visitors. Even if we know the restrictions will help us stay safe, the days must be very long.
Why not write a letter to someone currently in hospital and send them a little happiness from your house to their hospital bed? We are delighted that Age UK Nottingham & Nottinghamshire are helping this to happen!
Our team at Lings Bar Hospital would love to receive letters and postcards which they can share with the patients to help cheer them up and provide some much-needed contact with the outside world. Want to join in? Here are some guidelines for you to follow:
• Address the letter to ‘Dear Friend’
• Share general information about yourself – job, hobbies, garden, seasonal anecdotes (the daffodils blooming in your garden, visiting birds etc)
• Do offer some reminiscence opportunities – your favourite places, childhood memories, favourite food etc
• Postcards are nice with pictures of gardens, animals and pets, artworks, coastal views etc – all help to stimulate conversations and memories
• Ask questions to encourage the patient to think about their own lives – for example, ‘I always enjoy a Sunday roast. What’s your favourite meal?’
• Encourage the recipient to follow government guidance on keeping themselves safe
• Sign your letter with your first name only
• Add any details that will identify you specifically – address, date of birth, age etc
• Be political or share conspiracy theories
Please remember to put a stamp on your card or letter and send them to:
Age UK Notts
Lings Bar Hospital
Staff at the hospital will follow relevant guidance when distributing the letters.
Thanks for providing some much-needed cheer and celebrating the traditional art of letter writing!