Information and resources for carers
- Rampton Carers Information Pack 2018.pdf[pdf] 3MB - This pack has been designed by carers and staff who have experience of Rampton Hospital in order to help you access the information you need at the right time for you. For a printed version of the pack, contact the Visitors Centre.
Regular carers events and information sharing meetings take place throughout the year at Rampton Hospital.
These events are designed to give you information about the Hospital, such as general treatments and therapies that patients can access. They give you the opportunity to have your say. Most importantly they also provide the opportunity to meet Hospital staff and other carers.
For information on carers days, contact the Family Support Team on 01777 247571 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Feedback about carers events
"The workshops are a fantastic idea, I really enjoy learning about the Hospital and how it works with patients. It's also good to meet and talk to other carers."
"As with past carers events, very enjoyable and interesting. The main feeling is that everyone present, staff and carers alike, are there for one reason and one only - to help patients with their long journeys and help bring some relief to their everyday problems. I feel that we are all united at these events and having several, now feel a bond as we recognise familiar carers bringing such a ‘good feel factor' to the day."
"The tour of the Hospital facilities was well organised and facilitated. Involving the staff team allowed for more accurate information."
"I am interested, as with our family and dear friends anything and everything that Rampton Hospital and their dedicated staff are working so tirelessly to ensure the best care and treatment for our loved ones' well-being – we are extremely grateful to you all."
The Family Support Team regularly sends out information about these meetings. If you wish to receive this please contact your named social worker to be added to the Family Support Team mailing list.
To find out more telephone the Social Care Service on 01777 277354 or contact the Family Support Team on 01777 247571.
Food and drink
Food and drink cannot be brought into the hospital unless a food authorisation form has been completed and agreed by the patient's multi-disciplinary team. Please contact the Family Support Team for further information on 01777 247571.
Carers can order food for patients from Zest, the patient shop. You can make an order by phoning Zest on 01777 247744 during the following times:
- Monday to Friday: 9:30am - 11:30am or 1:30pm - 3:30pm
- Saturday and Sundays - 10am - 11am
There is a maximum spending limit of £10 per carer, per patient, per week. Orders over this amount wont be accepted. Payment is by credit or debit card only.
Birthday cakes are available to be ordered and are not included in the £10 limit. Cakes need to be ordered three weeks in advance of the event.
If you would like food to be delivered to the ward for a particular day, please order at least three days ahead.
"My wife and I are carers for our son who is currently staying at Rampton Hospital. Prior to this, our son had been in and out of prison on numerous occasions before he was diagnosed with a mental health problem. I will never forget the letter our son wrote to us during his last stay in prison, saying that he would be moving to Rampton Hospital. Our first feelings were of panic that our son was going to Rampton Hospital. After that initial shock we decided that wherever our son was we would support him fully.
"My wife has a disability which means she requires wheelchair assistance and I have recently undergone extensive surgery for cancer. We have nothing but praise for all the staff we have met at Rampton Hospital, they have been so understanding.
"We were able to visit our son within the first month of his admission. We were given the opportunity to stay overnight at the Visitors Centre before seeing our son. The staff there were extremely welcoming, putting us at ease instantly. The staff had even gone to the trouble of showing our son photographs and a video of where we would be staying during our visit, giving him some reassurance that his parents were being looked after.
"The ward staff are amazing, they keep us well informed of our son's progress. Through the support of the staff involved in our son's care I believe that my family has grown closer together as a result."
The High Security Psychiatric Services (Arrangements for Safety and Security) Directions 2019 and associated guidance requires Rampton Hospital to have arrangements in place to ensure that the number, type and volume of possessions is consistent with the requirements of safety and security in the hospital.
In meeting these requirements the Trust maintains a policy to provide guidance for staff, and a patient information sheet is available for patients. Monitoring of this policy and patient information sheet is through the Hospital Security Committee, with this committee evaluating the risk of new items to the safety and security in the hospital.
The Hospital Security Committee approves and maintains a list of approved games consoles, Patients are allowed to own and access a games console from this approved list with the following restrictions.
Some approved items may include a restriction in that they must be purchased through the Hospital (patients' shop etc.) to approved Hospital suppliers. The list of approved games consoles includes which items must be purchased through the Hospital and which can be brought to the Hospital either with a visitor or as a postal package.
- Only one game console can be stored or used within a patient bedroom at a time.
- Any game console that requires either mains power, USB power or includes rechargable batteries will be categorised as an electrical item and subject to the limit on the number of electrical items allowed to be stored in areas of direct patient possession.
- All individual cables included with the approved game console must be less than two metres in length and will count towards the total length of cables that are allowed to be stored in areas of direct patient possession - cables must not be shortened by or held together using cable ties or similar.
- Only a single controller is allowed to be stored in a patient bedroom at a time and the cable on any wired controller must be less than two metres in length. This cable also counts towards the total length of cables that are allowed to be stored in areas of direct patient possession.
- Any adaptions to include upgrades and different cables to game consoles are not allowed with the exception of the approved wireless controller as detailed in the approved list.
- Approved games consoles that require a television must be only used in patient bedrooms, any deviation of this must be applied for through the Hospital Security Department.
- Any individual games that are not built-in to the game console are included in the maximum number of music CDs/individual games that are allowed to be stored in areas of direct patient possession. All individual games must be PEGI rated 16 or below.
- Some games consoles have the ability of being able to save progress within games to an external memory card, patients will not be allowed access to external memory cards that can store digital images (SD cards for example)
|Date approved||Name||Argos reference||
|25/04/2018||Sega Mega Drive with 85 Built-in Games HD||836/7862||Yes||Yes|
|25/04/2018||Sega Ultimate Portable Game Player Console with 85 Games||Not available||Yes||No|
|25/04/2018||The Commodore 64 C64 Mini Console||Not available||Yes||No|
|25/04/2018||Nintendo Game Cube 2.4ghz Wireless Controller||Not available||Yes||No|
|24/01/2018||Nintendo Game Cube||Not available||Yes||Yes|
|27/12/2017||Lexibook Compact Cyber Arcade 250 Games||Not available||Yes||No|
|27/12/2017||Nintendo SNES Classic Mini Console||Not available||Yes||No|
|19/07/2017||Atari Flashback Portable Games Console with 70 Games||Not available||Yes||No|
|19/07/2017||Nintendo Game Boy Advance||Not available||Yes||No|
|21/06/2017||Sega Portable Console with 80 Built-In Games||Not available||Yes||No|
|19/04/2017||Sega Portable Console with 30 Built-In Games||Not available||Yes||No|
The Hospital Security Committee approves and maintains a list of approved MP3 players. Patients are allowed to own and access an MP3 player however they must be purchased through the Hospital (patients' shop etc.) to approved Hospital suppliers.
- Only one MP3 player can be stored or used within a patient bedroom at a time.
- All MP3 players will be categorised as an electrical item and subject to the limit on the number of electrical items allowed to be stored in areas of direct patient possession. Where possible patients are authorised to recharge MP3 players using the Hospital supplied Distributed Television.
- All individual cables included with the approved MP3 player, including headphones, must be less than two metres in length and will count towards the total length of cables that are allowed to be stored in areas of direct patient possession - cables must not be shortened by or held together using cable ties or similar.
|Date approved||Name||Argos reference||
|29/08/2019||Bush 8GB MP3 Player – Black||915/9938||No||Yes|
|19/04/2017||Bush KW-MP02 8GB MP3 Player - Black||Not available||No||No|
|19/04/2017||Bush KW-MP02 16GB MP3 Player – Black||Not available||No||No|
|15/03/2017||Sony NWZ-B183 Walkman 4GB MP3 Player - Black||Not available||No||No|
|15/03/2017||Sony NWZ-B183 Walkman 4GB MP3 Player - Red||Not available||No||No|
|15/03/2017||Sony NWZ-B183 Walkman 4GB MP3 Player - Blue||Not available||No||No|
|Philips GoGear Raga 4GB – Pink||Not available||No||No|
|Philips GoGear Raga 4GB – Blue||Not available||No||No|
- Only one digital Quran can be stored or used within a patient bedroom at a time.
- All digital Qurans will be categorised as an electrical item and subject to the limit on the number of electrical items allowed to be stored in areas of direct patient possession.
- All individual cables included with the approved digital Quran, must be less than two metres in length and will count towards the total length of cables that are allowed to be stored in areas of direct patient possession - cables must not be shortened by or held together using cable ties or similar.
|Date approved||Name||Argos reference||Parcel/Packages||Hospital Procurement|
|Easy Quran Store, Digital Pocket Quran 978-9933-423-DPQ||No||No||Yes|