Help in a crisis and visiting information during the COVID-19 pandemic
During this COVID-19 pandemic there may be changes in the way some of our services work. Contact the service directly to check how services are being delivered and follow their advice.
Some of our services now offer video consultations. You should speak to your clinician if this is something you would like them to consider. You can find out more about video consultation here.
Contact the ward you wish to visit in advance for guidance and instructions for a safe visit.
If you need help in a mental health crisis during the COVID-19 pandemic outside office hours please contact our crisis team: Help in a crisis
For other medical advice and support contact your GP or visit NHS 111
Only visit your local Emergency Department for serious life-threatening conditions that need immediate medical attention including persistent severe chest pain, loss of consciousness, acute confused state, severe breathlessness, severe blood loss, serious burns or suspected stroke.
Intellectual Disability Specialist Dieticians
We provide dietetic support to adults and older people with intellectual disabilities who come under the following criteria:
- people being considered for feeding tubes such as those with severe dysphagia (difficulty swallowing), unable to meet nutritional needs orally, very low BMI and those with deteriorating conditions
- people who already have feeding tubes
- people with Prader Willi Syndrome or metabolic conditions whose needs are best met by Learning Disability Specialist Dieticians and for whom there is no long-term alternative
- people with grade 3 and 4 pressure sores
- people with BMI less than 17kg/m² (severely underweight)
- people who have unintentionally lost 4kg or more in weight in the last 3 months
- people who have dysphagia (difficulty swallowing) and there are nutritional concerns
Accessing our service
People who need to use the service need to be referred by an intellectual disability professional from Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust.
Parking is available on the Highbury site.
Service opening hours
The team's core working hours are Monday - Thursday 9.30am - 4.00pm. Friday 9.30am-2.30pm
Please be aware that we are a very small team and we are often out of the office visiting people. If we are unavailable please leave a message and someone will get back to you as soon as possible.
Help in a crisis
Outside of office hours please contact your GP service, NHS 111, or in an emergency go to your local Accident and Emergency (A&E) department.
Information for health professionals
How to refer someone to this service
Intellectual Disability professionals from Nottinghamshire Healthcare can refer clients to the service. They would need to complete the referral form available on the intranet.
Service commissioned by
Nottingham City and South of County Clinical Commissioning Groups